“Which is the best fertilizer to use on passion fruit?” Passionfruit farmers ask ALL the TIME.
They ask it, because they want to MAXIMIZE the yield of their passion trees, while reducing the cost of production.
So if you’ve been asking same question, you are at the right place.
Everything You Need to Know about Passion Fruits Fertilizers is Right Here
In this post, I dissect all the details about the question…
And all the info on best fertilizer to use on passion fruit.
I’m doing so to equip you with knowledge so that you
- Can harvest more passion fruit from less land,
- Use less inputs and effort doing it.
- Enjoy huge profits from your passion farm.
Ready? Sit back and relax.
Read to the end of this post…
and you’ll get tips and strategies that will enable you double, triple, or even quadruple your yields.
From the desk of…
Professional Horticultural officer,
Download Your Free Passion Fruit Growing Guide
Learn how to:
- Harvest up to 30+ tons per acre of passion fruit.
- Find buyers who are willing to pay you handsome prices for every kilo of passion you sell to them.
- Use Special fertilizer applications and COMBINATIONS that give you an edge in fruit production.
- 5 creative ways of marketing your fruit so that you don’t EVER lack buyers…
- and Much Much More
Use the Right Fertilizers On Your Passion Fruits, and you Could Double, Triple or Even Quadruple Your Harvest
Did you know that using the right fertilizer, on your passion fruit, will help you…?
- Harvest big juicy and sweet passion fruits?
- Avoid growing bitter passion fruits –a problem that most passion fruit buyers complain about?
- Grow passion fruits that appeal to the eye, ripen evenly, making them super easy to sell when they land at the market?
- Have passion fruits that are free of disease, thus fetch twice the price of ordinary fruits?
- Increase the kilos of fruit you harvest every week?
- Increase your confidence in your produce because of the high quality of the fruits?
- Avoid diseases caused by nutrient deficiency like blossom end rot and chlorosis.
Simply by reading to the end of this post, you’ll be way ahead of other passion farmers!
Without the proper fertility levels, you can only expect to get a portion of the harvest your farm is capable of giving.
I am not saying this just to excite you into using fertilizer of your passion fruit farm.
My goal is to help you EXCEL in passion fruit production.
I want you to get adequate returns from your land.
That’s why I’ve backed my statements with sound research by top agricultural scientists across the world.
Here is what I found (in one publication) about the use of fertilizers.
In addition to maximizing yields, fertilizers are managed in many instances to optimize product quality, which is achieved by synchronizing the rates and timing of fertilization with the stage of growth.
Philip J Smethurst, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems, Australia. (To read the full paper follow link)
Use Fertilizers according to the Stage of Growth of the Passion Plant
Let me explain.
Passion fruits require different nutrients at different stages of growth.
For instance, the needs of a passion fruit seedling are completely different from that of a fully mature plant.
That’s why it’s much wiser to give a passion fruit plant fertilizer according to its stage of growth.
- The best Fertilizer for passion fruits seedlings:
Seedlings are the foundation of mature healthy passion fruit plants.
Therefore, you must give them the right nutrients, so that they automatically grow into healthy plants.
Giving passion seedlings starts at the transplanting stage.
Apply well-rotted manure mixed with charcoal dust in the transplanting hole.
The mixture helps the seedlings develop an extensive root system that will support high yields in future have a good nutritional foundation.
Give the seedling 5 grams of DAP (a fertilizer that contains phosphorus) to promote the rapid growth of the seedling.
- The best fertilizer to apply at the vegetative stage:
At this stage, the passion plant rapidly increases in size, forms extensive branches and vines, and increases its foliage.
All this is in preparation for the flowering and fruiting stage.
With all this aggressive growth, the plant requires lots of nutrients.
To supply these nutrients in adequate amounts, Apply 7 grams NPK 20:20:20 or NPK 17:17:17 per plant.
Three weeks later, apply 5 grams CAN.
Applying CAN protect the fruits blossom end rot in the fruits when the plants start fruiting.
Every two months, apply well-rotted farmyard manure to maintain high organic matter in the soil.
The passion plants also require micro-nutrients like boron, copper, Iron, Zinc, that may not be available in adequate amounts in the soil.
- The best fertilizer to apply to Passion Fruits That are at Flowering and Fruiting stage:
To yield lots of fruits, Passion plants, at this stage of growth require a balanced soil nutrition.
For the soil to be balanced, it must have adequate amounts of phosphorus, calcium, boron, molybdenum, zinc, copper, magnesium, Iron, and Sulphur.
That’s not all.
In addition to that, flowering passion plants require huge amounts of potassium.
In most cases, the potassium they get from the soil may be inadequate thus application of potassium through foliar spray may be necessary.
To provide all the huge nutritional needs during this stage, repeat the application of NPK 20:20:20 or 17:17:17.
In addition to this you need to apply lots of potassium nitrate because the fruiting stage require a lot of potassium.
Conduct a soil test to fully determine the nutrients level of your soil.
Ensure that you supply the passion plants adequate levels of organic matter, through regular application of farmyard manure.
Meta description: Want to know which is the best fertilizer for your passion fruit? Learn the Type & amounts to use, Timing of application, and stage to apply.